Urology Community
foul smelling urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

foul smelling urine

My husband has been having really foul smelling urine for a few weeks now, it smells like sulfur and is quite strong. There are times when I enter the bathroom a half an hour after he went and I can still smell it. He says he feels fine, and does not have any other symptoms. Has anyone had a similar problem or know what this might be??
hi. i have exactly the same problem. I did all tests including lab, ultrasonds etc but nothing was found. Some say it can be some kind infection.

I dont know
I had the same problems for years.  It was only in the morning.  I took lab test, after lab test.  Finally, I was sent to a uroligist.  I explained my problem to him, and he instantly knew the problem.  When most people sleep at night, they release a chemical from their brain that keeps them from obsorbing the urine back in there body overnight.  I stopped releasing the chemical (I have fibromyalga (fibromyalgia), so I don't really hit deep sleep)but it happens for differnet reasons for different people, so when I urinated in the morning, it was mostly the bacteria that is normally in urine that wasn't diluted.  He put me on Mandelamine with vitamin c every night and the problem stopped immediatly.  It is kind of like a lysol for your bladder.

I really hope this original post isn't so old that you don't see it but I really need some further details regarding your comment on this post. I too have sulphurous smelling urine as well as fibromyalgia. I only sleep 3 to 4 hours nightly and this is poor quality sleep. Since reading this comment I can definitely see there is a pattern between the amount and/or quality of sleep I get and the stench (sorry, that's the only way of describing it!) of my urine. Do you happen to know what the name of this symptom/condition is so that I may peruse it with my own doctor? And do you happen to know any further details on what causes this smell exactly? Thanks so much for your help :-)