Urology Expert Forum
groin pain

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

groin pain

About 3 months ago i noticed a dull aching pain in my groin, a little bit in my lower back and sides, and down my right leg.  I went to get it checked out and my doctor said that i had some swollen lymph nodes, and that it was likely an infection.  He put me on a round of antibiotics (Cipro i believe) for two weeks.  No change.  So he ordered a catscan and bloodwork, and after the catscan he ordered a liver panel.  Everything came back normal.  The catscan showed my lymph nodes were swollen, but not in a "scary" way, as he put it.  He said he could safely rule out cancer, and that my other pain was likely caused by a muscle strain and it could take a few months to heal.  I am on my feet and do a lot of lifting at work.
But now it has been about a month since my last visit to the doctor.  The pain in my leg and abdomen / back has lessened, but my lymph nodes are still swollen and tender.  My whole right groin area aches and it's an uncomfortable feeling to sit or lay down.  Have you heard of this ever?  What causes this?
My father said he had a similar problem when he was younger, his lymph nodes would flare up and stay swollen for months and then go away.  My doctor said so many different things can cause the nodes to swell, but that i should not be worried about them.  I would like to know what's wrong with me and what can be done about it.  Thank you.
Inguinal lymphadenopathy is usually caused by lower extremity infection, sexually transmitted diseases, or cancer.  Cancers associated with increased groin nodes include cervix; vulva; skin of the trunk; rectum and anus; ovary; and penis.

I would make sure that STDs are not present and that they have been comprehensively evaluated for.  

If the lymph nodes have not decreased in size after the antibiotics and have been present for 3 months, you may want to consider obtaining a biopsy of the node to ensure that it isn't cancer.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
Is untreated gonorrhea able to cause a groin pain?

I hope to hear from you soon!
Thanks!
A related discussion, groin pain, UTI, blood in urine was started.