Urology Community
hardened vein (?) in penis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

hardened vein (?) in penis

I have what feels like a hardening vein or worm-like lump on the left side of my penis.  It is from mid point and stops just below the tip.  When the penis is erect it is especially evident abut otherwise can be found by touch..  There is only slight discomfort.  What is going on?
Hi there,
Thanks for your questions.
What you describe appears to be a thrombosed penile vein. Also called as Mondor’s disease is thrombophlebitis of the penis; described as a painless or only slightly painful. A thrombosis is usually seen 24-48 hours after a prolonged sexual act with or without an intercourse. The main symptom was a cord-like thickening of the superficial veins, which were painless or slightly painful. Doppler examination of the superficial dorsal vein revealed obstruction of the vessels.
Anti-inflammatory agents, including aspirin, and rarely surgery are treatment options. Tenoxicam or Ibuprofen may be helpful if it does get painful. At times resolution of the thrombosis occurs uneventfully within 4-6 weeks. No recurrence or erectile dysfunction is usually noted. Penile Mondor's disease is a benign pathology of the superficial dorsal penile vein and should be taken into account in the differential diagnosis of penile pathologies. I would see my doctor again and reconsider the diagnosis or proceed with removal of the vein. In the meantime abstinence will not hurt and may help if you have been re-injuring the area.
Regards,
Dr Sylvester MD