Urology Community
help I have an 8mm kidney stone and no insurance

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I need to know if there is anything I can do to get this kidney stone out without massive medical expense. So please if anyone knows how to get one this large to pass I would appreciate your help.
I have one, too-honey-and even with all their so called modern medicine-they haven't been able to get my stone-which is over 8mm in size on the right, and another on the left which is between 3 and 4mm after 2 Lithrotripsies, 2 cysto's and a stent put in. So, the only thing I can think of to do for you and me both is: PRAY!
I have no insurance and both of my kidneys are packed full of kidney stones, of
different sizes.  I did have one that large or larger several years ago.  First of all as
long as the stone remains in the kidney, it usually does not cause a problem.  If it
is or you have a chronic infection, then it needs to be treated.  Otherwise it may stay in the kidney and never drop into the ureter.  In that case, it can live there.  I will die
with many of my stones still in my kidney.

If the stones is in the ureter, IT NEEDS TO BE REMOVED WITH OR WITHOUT INSURANCE.  A stone in the ureter can cause obstruction of the kidney.  Patients
think oh that since the pain is gone so is the stone but in truth, if the stone
had obstructed the kidney completely the pain can go away because the kidney is
no longer functioning.  This can result in long term damage to the kidney.

Many hospitals have a sliding scale and this would be worth checking into.  There are no magic things to take to dissolve them, though you can find many that will take your money and claim to.  I took many of these things to get rid of my stones and simply
destroyed my bladder lining, I now also have Interstitial Cystitis.  IN truth you need to work with a urologist to find out why you make stones.  There are meds and diet changes that can decrease your stones for the future and save you a lot of $$, in the long run.

I will tell you though, there are much better treatments for stones then in the past.
Find a research or college hospital near you.  They are also often more likely to have
an assistance program.  Find out if they have and use the Holmium laser.  This laser
can break up larger stones with less kidney stress etc.

Good Luck!

Shelly
I am experiencing my first kidney stone, and i also have no insurance. I saw a urologist that told me my back pain was not urological because my kidney stone was sitting in the left kidney (with has not been checked in over two weeks). He did not want to do anything to help me as soon as i said i had no insurance.

I am in severe pain and went to the hospital, the doctor told me to take advil and drink, because she could not put me in the hospital because they had to "look at the numbers to see how things were going to get paid for." I was in shock...So i know how you feel. I hope you will pass it soon and if you need help i hope you find a caring doctor! Good Luck!
I have had a history of kidneystones since I was 30... before lipotripsy, they had to cut from bellybutton to backbone to get it out... I suffered for over a year with that one.  Since then I have had over 45, two weeks ago I passed a 8mm stone the night before scheduled surgery.  I have been to a Nephrologist (a kidney specilist) and my Urologist.  When I feel a stone (I have several in both kidneys... they are forming in weeks the older I have gotten) I have a prescription for Flomax.  This has been a life saver... it is for prostate cancer (I am female) but it relaxes the ureter to make it easer to pass.  It is the only thing that has helped.  I have followed a low oxilate diet, drink 2 liters of water daily and exercise... nothing has stopped them from forming.  It is possible to pass the 8mm... it is hell, but I would say that without the Flomax I wouldn't have been able to pass it.  As mentioned by someone else, when they are in the kidney there isn't usually pain unless it hits the sides once in a while... keep the water input very high, but if it begins to pass through the ureter that is when the pain strikes, it took 2 1/2 weeks for it to pass for me, but it scared the ureter causing multiple infections.  My heart goes out to you... how do you know it is an 8mm, did you have a ct?  I stopped having them because I have so many... mine will show up on an ultrasound which is much cheaper and less intrusive.  Good luck... God bless, Happygma
I had to have stones surgically removed from both kidneys or face kidney failure. I ended up with an organization called Vocational Rehab who has offices all over the US. If you qualify they will see that you get taken care of. Lots of paper work and waiting but I am now stone free