Urology Expert Forum
hormones and bladder

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

hormones and bladder

I am currently being treated for interstitial cystitis. At the same time, I have recurrent problems with ovarian cysts...for which birth control pills are perscribed.
  Since that time, I have had worseningof my IC symptoms...what
  are the effects of estrogen/prog. on the bladder..and what changes can I make in the pill
  type in order to continue taking them without such problems with
  the IC???
  (problems include constant burning/urgency/freq.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear KD,
Interstitial cystitis is a disorder that affects  approximately 43,500 women in the United States. It is characterized by pain, frequent voiding , burning and urgency in the absence of any evidence of infection.. Treatment is largely directed at alleviation of symptoms. Many drugs have been evaluated in the treatment of IC. Recent attention has been given to Sodium pentosanpolysulfate ( Elmiron), tricyclic antidepressants such as amitryptiline, and bladder instillation with various agents such as DMSO and BCG. There is little data an the treatment of IC with hormones. The bladder is not known to have specific receptors for estrogen. However it is used in postmenopausal women to help improve incontinence symptoms.
The effect of progesterone on the bladder is not well characterized.It may be worthwhile to consider utilizing a mini-pill with lower doses of progesterone/estrogen.In addition, evaluation by a urologist that specializes in interstitial cystitis is worthwhile as they have access to various experimental protocols not available to the average urologist. To contact a physician in your area call the Interstitial Cystitis Association ( ICA) (212) 979-6057. This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653 6568).
HFHS MD-KR
*keyword: interstitial cystitis