Urology Community
how to tell if a man has had a vasectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

How can you tell if a man has had a vasectomy?  Can you tell by looking at the area for scaring?  Is there some test you can have the man get done that will tell whether he has had a vasectomy done?  If so can you tell me what tests that can be done and can you tell me if there would be some scaring to look for.  My man said he would go get any test done.  Do I make an appointment with a Urologist and ask him to do an ultrasound in that area on my man.  What can be done to show the vasectomy itself, an ultrasound?  Please, tell me everything we can get done to show whether the man had a vasectomy or not.
Hi, It depends on the scar from the incision on the scrotum close to the base of the penis. I had mine in 1999 and I can see a small scar on the right site of the scrotum.

The only reall way to check is to have a semen sample analized. From that they can see if sperm is present. With the no scalpal vasectomy nowadays it can be quite hard to notice a scar.

If he is willing to get tested than it can be assumed that he did not have a vasectomy, he most certainly would be able to remember this.

You can go to most medical labs to get a semen sample checked, however if there is a case of infertility, it might require more testing. I remember my vasectomy very well, a year after I lost the left testicle due to complications, however complications are rare.

All the best.

Ron
I may be wrong but I sense maybe , it is you that is questioning
whether or not he has had one. Maybe he is telling you he had it done but you are afraid of pregnancy?   It seems like the simplest way to prove it would be to get copies his medical records.  If he had one done
there would be a record at a urologist's office somewhere!  They should have also done a semen test as the poster above recommended to be sure  it was done and healed properly!
A vasectomy does not allways be performed by a urologist, I could be a general surgeon as well.
Even if a male has had a vasectomy, it is still possible to be fertile, semen analizes would be the easiest and best way to tell if a male is infertile.

All the best.

Ron