Urology Community
hydrocele healing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

hydrocele healing

I had a surgery to remove a potato sized hydrocele about 3 and a half months ago. It was very swollen after surgery and went down alot and then stayed swollen to about triple the size of my other testicle and doesn't seem to be going down in size any more. Is it normal for it to take this long to return to a normal size?
Additionaly my scrotum is still very stretched out. Will it return to a normal size eventually on it's own, and if so how long could this possibly take? Is there anything I can do at this point to help the process along like ice or something?
Tags: hydrocele
Avatar_dr_f_tn

"Recurrence of the hydrocele after inguinal approaches is most often reactive in nature and usually resolves within several months. Rarely, aspiration or scrotal surgery may be warranted"
www.emedicine.com/Med/topic2778.htm

As mentioned in the extract above, it is possible for fluid collection in the scrotum to recur after a hydrocele repair.
You will need to speak with your surgeon regarding further course of action.

Application of ice only helps in the immediate period after trauma to the scrotum.
However, you can try scrotal elevation, supportive underwear, and avoidance of strenuous physical activity.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards
Thank for your help. I've been wearing briefs every day. Does the scrotum typically go back to a normal size on it's own though? Or does it just stay the same?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The duration of time the hydrocele takes to resolve completely depends on its size and general factors including how soon your body usually recovers from any injury.

It is possible that the hydrocele will subside on its own, but if it appears that the scrotum is distended due to the fluid collection it would be better to seek aid from your surgeon in reducing the hydrocele by procedures such as needle aspiration.

You can also elevate the scrotum while in bed to speed up recovery.

Regards
Thanks again for your advice. I will try and talk to the surgeon when I have the money. Sorry, maybe I was not explaining it well. What I mean is the hydrocele was large and stretched out my scrotum a lot. Now that it is gone and far smaller, my scrotum is still stretched out very loosely and hanging down. It is not being stretched by the hydrocele anymore, but it is just hanging there like loose skin. I just wanted to know if it would reconstrict again to a smaller size on its own eventually.
i hve undergone varicocelectomy about 3 months ago, after a week or 2 i noticed minor swelling in my testicles, what is it? it had a little pain also..is this a case of hydrocele?? or swollen vas deferens?? pls help me out