Urology Expert Forum
hydrocele

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

hydrocele
JCK
I am a 57 year old male. I had a hydrocelectomy over 30 years ago. Right after my son was born. Is there any way I can find out if I am fertile or not? If so what kind of tests do I need to take? What are the chances of me being able to impregnate a woman?
The most useful test would be a semen analysis.  This can be done at your urologist's office.  

In addition to the standard analysis, specialized analyses can be performed in some laboratories. The standard semen analysis consists of the following:
- Measurement of semen volume and pH
- Microscopy for debris and agglutination
- Assessment of sperm concentration, motility, and morphology
- Sperm leukocyte count
- Search for immature germ cells.

There are more specialized semen tests that should be considered if there are continuing conerns about infertility despite the normal initial sample.  

The semen sample should be collected after two to seven days of sexual abstinence, preferably at the doctor's office by masturbation.

If the semen tests are within normal limits, the chances of fertility should not be affected.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0