Urology Expert Forum
irritated penis after intercourse

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

irritated penis after intercourse

Hello, About 6 months ago my wife and I had intercourse and afterwards my penis was irritated. It took a few weeks for it to heal. It was initially red and in the days following the sex the skin appeared to be flaking. It healed slowly and the healed skin looked shiny with a slight discoloration at the urethral opening. Since the initial episode I've used lubricants alone, lubricants and a condom together, but there always seems to be some sort of inflammation after intercourse. It always heals, slowly, but never completely disappears.  I had intercourse this AM and used a generic lubricating liquid with the same result. My penis is red and irritated immediately behind the glans (glands); it also itches.

My layman's sense is that this is not serious (my wife is 54 years old and in menopause), but I'm getting more than concerned.

Do I try using jelly and a condom all the time? Should I see a dermatologist or a urologist? Or, should I take Sarah Pallin's advice and try abstinence for a month or so and let it completely heal?

Sincerely,

RG
Your layman's sense is working well! This is not serious. My guess is that you have  a dermatitis that gets irritated with the trauma of sexual intercourse. You are not doing yourself great damage, I am sure.
If you abstain from sexual intercourse, you will not experience the discomfort that you describe then the issue is whether the discomfort is worth the experience.
I think that you should see a dermatologist.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.