Urology Expert Forum
irritated penis after intercourse
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

irritated penis after intercourse

Hello, About 6 months ago my wife and I had intercourse and afterwards my penis was irritated. It took a few weeks for it to heal. It was initially red and in the days following the sex the skin appeared to be flaking. It healed slowly and the healed skin looked shiny with a slight discoloration at the urethral opening. Since the initial episode I've used lubricants alone, lubricants and a condom together, but there always seems to be some sort of inflammation after intercourse. It always heals, slowly, but never completely disappears.  I had intercourse this AM and used a generic lubricating liquid with the same result. My penis is red and irritated immediately behind the glans (glands); it also itches.

My layman's sense is that this is not serious (my wife is 54 years old and in menopause), but I'm getting more than concerned.

Do I try using jelly and a condom all the time? Should I see a dermatologist or a urologist? Or, should I take Sarah Pallin's advice and try abstinence for a month or so and let it completely heal?

Sincerely,

RG