Urology Community
is urine sterile

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

is urine sterile

It has been stated that normal urine is sterile. The defination of sterile is free from ALL living organisms. Using the true defination of sterile it is my opinion that urine in it's normal state is not sterile. Do you agree?
Avatar dr m tn
The urine is normally sterile only and no bacteria are present in the urine. However, contamination from the vaginal flora can occur in the case females at the time of collection of the urine. Another marker of infection is the presence of white blood cells in the urine. Normally, they are  5 WBC’s (also called pus cells) is a marker of infection of the urine. Increased number of pus cells can also be present in the non infectious problems of the urinary tract like the presence of stones in the urinary tract. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.