Urology Community
kidney cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

kidney cysts

I have a 20mm by 19mm cyst in the polar region of my left kidney. the DR found this by a CT contrasted scan lying on my back. the target was my pancreas and that cyst was stable. I am scheduled to have ultrasound on both kidneys for a better view. How rare is a cyst turning to cancer or a benign one keep growing? Note,they said this cyst in question has grown since my last CT scan 2.5 years ago.

This discussion is related to Urethra restriction.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Kidney cysts may be simple cysts or complex cysts.
"There are two significant categories of kidney cysts that exist. The most common type of kidney cyst is the “simple kidney cyst.” The simple kidney cyst is very common and has no risk of becoming a kidney cancer. The other type of cyst is called a “complex cyst.” The term “complex cyst” refers to a spectrum of cysts that have different characteristics which may make them suspicious for kidney cancer. "
"The simple kidney cyst is a spherical space somewhere in the kidney that is filled with liquid. The lining or wall of the cyst is very thin and has no irregularities in it. Inside the simple kidney cyst there is nothing but fluid, which when removed is usually yellow or clear. A simple kidney cyst has no risk of becoming a kidney cancer and is therefore nothing to worry about. Indeed, by the time a person is 50 years old, there is a 50% chance that he or she will have a simple cyst. As we get older the chances of having a simple cyst increase and the cysts increase in size as well."
"A “complex kidney cyst” is different from a simple kidney cyst as the cyst may be irregular in its outer shape. To be defined as a complex kidney cyst, the cyst must have some type of irregularities inside of it. The irregularities come in different varieties. “Septations” are walls within the cyst. These walls may be very fine and thin or quite thick and course. Having many or thick walled septations may suggest that the cyst is more likely to be associated with a kidney cancer. Cysts may also be “calcified.” This means that the mineral calcium is visualized inside of the cyst. There may be very little calcium, or the calcifications may be quite thick. A complex kidney cyst may also have tissue inside of it that “enhances.” Enhancement means that a part of the complex kidney cyst gets a blood supply, which can be demonstrated by giving contrast material into a vein while radiologic testing is in progress. Solid enhancing material inside of a complex kidney cyst is suspicious for kidney cancer and may require intervention by a Urologist for treatment"
www.kidneycancerinstitute.com/kidney-cyst.html

If the cyst is a complex one, but does not show any overt premalignant signs, the urologist may advise active surveillance.

Cysts, whether simple or complex, keep increasing with age.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards
My partner has just been told he has a kinet cyst,he has got to pick up a letter wednesday to phone for an appiontment with kidney specialist,h doctor has not said what type it is,how long will it be before they can say what type it is,if it is a complex cyst is it cureable,very worried for him thank for listening lou