Urology Community
kidney stone / hydronephrosis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

kidney stone / hydronephrosis

I recently had my first bout with a kidney stone (30yr old male).  It started with sudden extreme pain in my right flank.  I was taken to the hospital via ambulance where they verified a 5mm stone.  As there is a limited number of lithotripsy machines in the area, I was in the hospital for about 56 hours before I finally had surgery to install a stent and have the stone broken up.  While I was there I had constant pain and was always on some type of pain killer which also had me not eating for the duration of my stay, aside from the morning after my surgery.  While in the hospital I spoke the the urologist once who told me the pain was caused by pressure on the kidney from the blockage.  Now that I am out of the hospital I have been reading that hydronephrosis should be taken care of immediately as there is a risk of permanent kidney damage.  I have another week before I see the urologist to have my stent out but I am concerned as to why they would have waited to install the stent and what my risks would be for kidney damage.  At one point the urologist mentioned they could put the stent in and do the lithotripsy separately, but that would require two surgeries and he did not really suggest that.  Had I known there was any type of risk to my kidney I would have been happy to have two surgeries.  Since my discharge, aside from discomfort from the stent (mostly trouble sleeping from the urgency feeling), I am feeling better.  I am not sure what symptoms I might have if there was a problem with my kidney, however.  Was a 56 hour wait too long or is this nothing to worry about?  I plan on speaking with the urologist about it (After he removes the stent) but another opinion can be helpful.  Is there any testing that can be done to tell if I have decreased kidney function or is there no way to tell the difference since my left kidney should still be unaffected?  Thanks!