Urology Community
large kidney cyst?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

large kidney cyst?

What is exactly considered a large enough kidney cyst to consider aspiration of it? I was diagnosed with a complex Category II cyst -- 7 cm x 7 cm x 10 cm.  Does it need to be removed? It was found in CT scans following hematuria.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Renal cysts may be simple or complex based on imaging scans. A large cyst that may be minimally complicated ( as in your case) may  benefit from renal cyst aspiration. Cytologic study of the aspirate may help guide management and the aspiration may reduce renal cyst size. However, do discuss the possibility of cyst recurrence with your physician. Discuss with him/her on how definitive this treatment will be or is this something that may be done repeatedly in the future.

Do keep us posted regarding physician's advice.
I received a phone call today from my general practitioner regarding a follow-up ultrasound of my left kidney. The first was conducted 2 years ago after I had the experience of passing a stone, and the ultrasound scan was part of the examination as I had never previously demonstrated a Hx of the symptoms.
  I am 54 years old. I am height/weight proportionate at 6'2"/210 lbs. I am active and have been continuously employed. The first scan was reported as:
"A cortical pedunculated mass (3.7 x 3 cm) of soft tissue density. Hyper dense cyst? Tumor?"
   The GP reported that the second scan, conducted more recently 2 years after the first, revealed a 30% increase in size. There are no other cysts found in either of the kidneys, but he is interested in obtaining another scan (CT) to obtain a 3d image for further identification.
   He said that the fact that the mass is increasing is a concern. He's said if it is found that the mass is continuing to grow, surgery would be conducted to remove the mass. I'm assuming a laparoscopic procedure. Cyst aspiration was not discussed however.
   He asked me if I could feel any discomfort there. I can, frequently. It feels like a back ache on the left side where position does not change the sensation.
   Heat and cold exacerbates the discomfort and I find that limiting my fluid intake to clear liquids helps after a few days. Currently I am experimenting with eliminating all dairy products and drinking filtered alkaline water. I am not sure if there will be any remedial effect, but I'm convinced that it couldn't hurt.
  I'll follow this thread for future posts.

Good luck,  Ted