Urology Community
larger right kidney

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

larger right kidney

A recent ultrasound of my kidney showed that my right kidney was larger than my left (11.7 cm on right and 9.7 cm on left), but there was no evidence of hydronephrosis. I had a recurrent uti this past summer. I now have lingering intermittent flank/back/pelvic pain with occasional low-grade fever---but no evidence of infection. The radiologist also stated that there is a "suggestion of slight decreased corticomedullary definition bilaterally". What does this mean? The gynecologist who had been treating me for the uti said this was all normal, but considering my lingering symptoms, I'm wondering if I should see a urologist? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Charlotte

The normal kidney is approximately the size of a human fist. The measurements in an  adult human are about 10 to 13 cm (4 to 5 inches) long and about 5 to 7.5 cm (2 to 3 inches) wide.
The size given by you appears to be the length and not the width. Please confirm, as both the measurements  (11.7, and 9.7 cm) are within the ‘normal range’ of kidney length (10-13 cms)

A decreased corticomedullary definition can be due to renal impairment.  You should consult your urologist/nephrologist as you are having intermittent pelvic/flank pain with fever;one of the causes could be infection in the renal tissue.

Take care,
Regards