Urology Expert Forum
low urine creatinine
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

low urine creatinine

Can a UTI cause a low urine creatinine count? For the past several months my weekly urine tests have never been above 30 mg/dl and 3 times have been below 20 mg/dl. My weekly tests are because of a DUI I received and I will have to continue them if no medical explanation is provided for "dilutes". I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with UTI, was perscribed sulfamet/Trimethoprim, and follow up visit showed UTI cured and urine creatinine 57 mg/dl.  No abnormalities were detected in blood test, serum creatin was normal.  I am 20 years old, 130 lbs, 5'8". Is the urinary tract infection the the likely cause? What is the normal urine creatinine range? If not, what tests do you suggest?
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Possible, however a low urine creatinine is a non-specific finding.  I am not aware of a specific disease that is characterized by a low urine creatinine level, and is normally caused by an inadequate specimen.  I would recommend repeating the test.  

Normal range for a man your age would be 18.5 to 25.0 mg/kg/day.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0 Comments
Blank
A related discussion, LOW CREATININE was started.
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker