Urology Community
medication induced elevated BUN???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

medication induced elevated BUN???

I'm on Toprol XL, Cardizem, Benicar along with Lasix for HTN.  I have a BUN of 32 (up from 24 a month ago) with a creatinine of 1.2.  Can it be medication related?  I am not overweight nor do I overuse salt, but am concerned about kidney failture.
Tags: Benicar
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Benicar has been reported to impair kidney function.

All the other medications you are on are to be used with caution in individuals with impaired kidney function.

BUN values of up to 20 are considered within the normal range.

In view of the fact that your BUN has increases by over 30% in the past month you will need to discuss change of some of the medications you are on.

Meanwhile, please increase the intake of fluids (or plain water) to help with the action of the lasix.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards
I also have had an elevated BUN and Creatinine since beginning Benicar. I am also on Toprol XL 25mg daily. My Benicar dose was dropped from 40 to 20 mg daily last visit. I am concerned about the elevated BUn as it is indicative of renal issues. I drink more water daily and will see on my next visit to doc in Sep what we will do as a plan if my labs are abnormal. I might add I think these 2 have also elevated my cholesterol and LDL!
Look forward to follow up note.