Urology Expert Forum
my bladder sling came loose

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

my bladder sling came loose

I had a hysterectomy combined with bladder sling surgery in april 2008.  The vaginal walls were reconstructed.  It is now july 2009 and my urinary incontinence problems have returned full blown.  Is the urologist, who installed the bladder sling, responsible for any of the costs to reattach the bladder to the sling?  Or am i stuck with it?
HI, it sounds like you had a combined hysterectomy by a gynecologist, a prolapse repair, and a pubovaginal sling to treat incontinence.  If your incontinence has recurred, it depends on what type of incontinence you have.  The sling is a treatment for stress incontinence-- leaking with a cough, or straining. It's also common to have urge incontinence-- leaking with the sudden urge to void, in association with the stress incontinence.  This type of incontinence is treated with a pill to reduce the urgency and stop the leaking.  A third type of incontinence is overflow incontinence-- it occurs when the sling causes an obstruction of the urethra (too tight) and you can't empty your bladder. You void small amounts frequently and don't empty your bladder.  You need to see your Urologist and see which type of incontinence you have.  The sling surgery may have failed, or it may be fine but you have a new problem.  Start with a visit to the Urologist who did your surgery for a reassessment. Good Luck.