Urology Expert Forum
neurogenic bladder, caffeine, other effects
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

neurogenic bladder, caffeine, other effects

I have another question on what has been found to be a neurogenic bladder of which the cause is uncertain through urological testing:
  1.  Is it possible that too much caffeine can be a cause of a neurogenic bladder or does a neurogenic bladder always mean some sort of disease process is going on?
  2.  I also was told that it is possible to pinpoint the problems further depending on whether or not upper or lower neurons were involved (I think it has something to do with the CNS vs. the peripheral or autonomic systems...I think)...I'm having trouble remembering what I read.  What would have to be done during the bladder studies to get this additional information and how would it be reported on the test report?   The two "possibilities" are lupus or some other connective tissue disease or MS. I guess it's too early to tell, but wondered if this bladder testing couldn't have narrowed down the problem further.
  THanks for helping!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear C.C.,
In a patient with  an unstable bladder the use of caffeine could potentially worsen the symptoms, but there is no evidence that caffeine would lead to a neurogenic bladder , which is a hyper-reflexic or non-reflexic bladder  due to different neurologic disease or dysfunction.  Usually a urodynamics  or fluoro-urodynamics study would delineate the process. Sometimes, however, the cause can not be easily diagnosed and different diagnoses are entertained, in your case MS or lupus. Each , of course have to be diagnosed separately.  You should be seen by a urologist for a thorough evaluation.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568).
Sincerely;
HFHS-M.D. BE
* Keyword: caffeine in neurogenic bladder