Urology Community
neurogenic bladder and lumbar fusions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

neurogenic bladder and lumbar fusions

I have been diagnosed to have nuerogenic bladder due to failed back syndrome (over 12 years ago).  I was just diagnosed to also have Cauda Equina Syndrome.  I have severe bladder retention with catheders every three weeks and major infections/blockage.  The pain in unbearable in my bladder.  My legs are numb regularily and sex is out of the question.  What do they do to fix this problem? I have blood and calcification in my urine. My stools have blood, and occassion I bleed outside the catheder. I have had every test there is through the urologist,neuologists, myelograms, etc.  How much pain can a person take?  What can they do?  My colonoscopies are clear..I have no cancer.  This is all due to a tramatic experience that started all of this.  I have had the catheder for over a year and a half now (changed at least every three weeks).  I would appreciate your input on what can be done to repair this problem...if there is one.

I was diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder in 1996. Since than I had been using intermittant catheterization to ensure that the bladder is emptied on a regular basis.

As far as I know there is nothing other than self catheterization that can be done for the neurogenic bladder.

Currently I have a spurapubic catheter from problems that arose after many years of self catheterization. The urologist thinks that I have created a fistula (hole) between my prostate and rectum. With this I have bleeding from the catheter as well as rectal bleeding at times.

As far as I know there is no corrective surgery for the neurogenic bladder. I do know that at times pain can get the better of me. Due to other neurological problems and pain, I'm on Statex Morphine. I also use Buscopan for any bladder spasms. Even with that there are many nights where sleep does not come due to pain.

All the best.

Ron