Urology Community
nonobstructive kidney stone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

nonobstructive kidney stone

I was diagnosed with a 4mm "nonobstructive" kidney stone in my left upper kidney.  I was told it could stay there for years and never give me any problem or I could pass it some day.  I was surprised that I was not given meds to dissolve the stone or shock wave treatment, I do have health insurance.  Don't these stones get bigger eventually?  I was told "not to worry about it".

Thanks for reading my post.
I agree with you, and kind of planned to do that.  The only reason I have not done that yet is because we have a friend who has 3 nonobstructive kidney stones in one of his kidneys for the last 12 yrs, and when this doctor told me "don't worry" I remembered our friend.  But I will see another doctor.  I heard passing a kidney stone is no picnic in the park.  And I would like to prevent having to go through this exercise.

Thanks for your input.
Don't worry about it! LOL. Seriously. If the are non obstructive, they really do no damage. Depending on the type of stone, there may not be medication for dissolving them (at least in your case). And the majority of stones are of a type with no real medication for dissolving them.

Lithotripsy (breaking the stones with sound waves) is definately not necessary in this case. It is only used for stones that are causing trouble, are too large to pass, or are created an obstruction for an unreasonable period of time. 4mm is definately small enough to pass.

Lithotripsy can be dangerous, because its not unlikely for there to be bruising and tissue damage to your kidneys during the procedure, so it is usually reserved for cases where it is more of a concern.

Believe me, kidney stones are by far the worst pain you would ever feel in your life. I'm not exadurating, I actually read that in a medical dictionary, and in my experience, I don't doubt it. You will know if they cause obstruction!

There is a real possibility that you will go your WHOLE life without having an attack, or it could be tommorow. There isn't any way to predict it. Good luck though!
Thanks for the info and comfort.  I hope the stone stays put :) In the meantime I too read about the "shock wave" which can be dangerous to the kidney.
MY UROLOGIST TOLD ME AFTER MY IVP EXAMINATION, MY STONES ARE NON OBSTRUCTIVE AND THAT WAS 9 YEARS AGO AND NOW IM HAVING BACK AND SIDE PAINS..........WELL I HOPE  AND PRAY IT IS NOT MY STO
not to alarm anyone but I have been a long time kidney stone suffer and a few months ago I was told I have 21 non obstructive stones to not worry about kinda worries me because this is my third contrasted ultra sound with same diagnois but my sister was also told this and in jan she went into kidney failure. The so call non obstructive were actually called staghorn stones and for 8 months she had tubes from her kidneys coming out her back, she under went 3 surgeries , and finally they removed her left kidney. Those non obstructive stones almost ended her life , so I encouraged everyone dealing with stones to make sure these non obstructive are not actually staghorns. Much luck to everyone!