odor w urination
there is a rather pungent odor after i urinate. i do not think it is from dehydration. it has become an embarassing issue in that i do not like to use public restrooms. what could this be [from] and what can i do to stop it? (i'm so ashamed i can't even bring myself to ask my regular doctor . . . please help). im a 23 year old female, with no history of STDs or abnormal paps. please be explicit. i am desperate to cure/alleviate this problem. thank you.
The most common causes would be a urinary tract infection.  This can be tested by a urinalysis or urine dip at your physician's office.  Other symptoms (which may or may not be present) would include urinary frequency or pain/burning on urination.  They can be easily treated with a 3 day course of antibiotics.  

Dehydration can also cause odor.  There are also certain foods (i.e. asparagus) that can cause a distinctive urinary odor.  

If you do not think you are dehydrated, I would go to your physician to get your urine tested for a UTI.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.