Urology Community
over the counter meds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

over the counter meds

I have to urinate about 20 times in a 24 hour period.  I always feel like I have to urinate in between times that I do go.  After I urinate a good amount then I have to keep getting out of bed but have a weak stream.  I have seen urologists and have learned that it is not a prostate problem.  I have also had a syscopy done and the doctor found nothing.  I have not tried any meds.  I was wondering if there were any over the counter meds that people found helpful
thank you
     How are you? I think you have a condition called over active bladder which causes, urge to urinate frequently, urgency and urge incontinence.

The usual treatments for this condition are pelvic muscle strengthening exercises, behavioural therapy and medication( detrol la) etc. Also, if you are urinating very frequently check the amount of fluid intake, check blood sugars and get a urine analysis with culture done.

Before going in for any over the counter medicines I would advise to visit a urologist for confirmation of diagnosis and further assistance on treatment.
Best.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

It is good that all your tests were negative. Frequent urination means needing to urinate more often than usual. Together, frequent and urgent urination are classic signs of a urinary tract infection. Diabetes, pregnancy, and prostate problems are other common causes of these symptoms. Other causes include: interstitial cystitis, medicines such as diuretics, Overactive bladder syndrome and urinary incontinence

It is important that you follow the therapy recommended by your doctor to treat the underlying cause of your urinary frequency or urgency. Before taking any medications, you have to consult with your doctor first. It may also help to keep a diary of times and amounts of urine voided to bring with you to the doctor. Take care and do keep us posted.
But is there a remedy to help the symptoms