Urology Expert Forum
pain, frequent urinating and redness on the tip...

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Hi.  I'm a 28 year old male who has been experiencing symptoms of something for quite some time (for at least 18 months).  

What I've been dealing with...

1.  Frequent urination even when not drinking lots of liquids.  Though, not every day, there have been times that I'll have an "attack" and urinate over 15 times in a day (at least 5 times a month).  Today is one of those days with at least 10 during the last couple of hours.  Feelings of having to urinate sometimes takes a while to go away.  Also, sometimes burning occurs when urinating.

2.  Pain off and on.  A piercing pain and not located anywhere in particular the penis.

3.  Redness on half of the tip of my penis.  This has been visible since last summer.

I have seen a couple of nurses, a doctor and a urologist.

First two times, I was told I had a urinary infection.  Antibiotics were prescribed and both times the symptoms seem to subside but reappeared in a month or two.  

Another nurse suggested it was stress related, but I can't imagine that it could be the cause of these symptoms.  Also, this was the first time I pointed out the redness which was dismissed as some discolorization and looked normal.  Urine checked and no issues were found.

A couple of months later, I went back with the same symptoms and was then referred to a urologist.  Urologist checked prostate and urine.  Talked abot symptoms and the conclusion was that I have prostatitis.  No explanation of the color and again was dismissed as just a normal change.  Antibiotics were prescribed again and a couple of months later a different kind was then prescribed.  No help.

I'm now in the process of trying to get a second opinion. I have to wait till the 28th even though symptoms are acting up again.

I honestly can't take it anymore.  Quite frankly, I'm petrified at what this can be and whether any serious damage has been done because of continued wrong diagnosises.  I've researched prostatitis a little and none of the listed symptoms mention any redness appearing because of it.  And if it is prostatitis, I can't imagine dealing with this for the rest of my life.  The pain is a lot to handle and the frequent urination is getting to be embarrising.  And the redness is hard to explain to the opposite sex so I haven't been sexually active in a while.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Anything I should tell my doctor to check when I go see him at the end of month?
Infection seems to have been considered - and needs to be definitively ruled out.  This can include urine tests and urethral swabs for STDs and a UTI, as well as a digital rectal exam to evaluate for prostatitis.  Any prostatic fluid can be sent off for analysis and culture.  

If the tests continue to be negative, you can consider a transrectal ultrasound to ensure there are no prostatic abscesses.  

If infection has been ruled out, you can consider a cystoscopy to evaluate for any anatomical abnormalities - such as a urethral stricture or polyp.  

These options can be discussed with your urologist - or in conjunction with another urological opinion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0