Urology Expert Forum
pain after kidney stone removal

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

pain after kidney stone removal

I had a 2cm stone in the lower ureter.  It had blocked my left ureter and the kidney was enlarged.  An IVP showed that the ureter on left side and left kidney were both enlarged and the urine was blocked on that side.  The stone was broken up with lithotripsy and uteroscopy.  A fragment was removed.  This procedure was performed on Dec. 18.  I had a stent in place for 4 days bleeding and a lot of cramping.  The bleeding went away within 2 days of removing stent.  I'm still experiencing lower back pain and have now developed pain in my groin that at times is severe.  The doctor said I have 2 small stones 1 in each kidney still.  I was told to come back in 6 months for a follow up Xray to see if they are growing larger.  He said they will not pass they will remain in my kidney.  Should I be following up on the enlarged kidney?  Is it common to still have severe lower back pain.  I have also noticed bowel movement about every 3 days.  Prior to bowel movement severe stomach pains.  Should I go back to my Urologist or seek advise from my primary care physician.

Thank you
Regarding the enlarged kidney, I would make sure that there is no damage to the kidney function by measuring a blood creatinine level on a periodic basis to make sure that function has not been compromised.  This can be arranged with either your urologist or primary care physician.

Regarding the stones, I would suggest continuing to follow-up with the urologist.  The serial X-rays is a reasonable plan.

Pain from a uretoscopy is variable and the time it takes to heal is dependent on the patient.  If the back and groin pain does not improve, I would suggest followup.  

For the bowel movements, it is possible that this could be affected by the anesthesia.  If the constipation and stomach pain continues, I would suggest an evaluation by your primary care physician.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

1 Comment
0
A related discussion, Kidney Stone removal was started.