Urology Community
pain after urination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

pain after urination

i was in urgent care all day yesterday for what i first thought was a UTI... the urine sample was clean and the Dr. suggested ("you probably have") urethritis, but did not preform any other tests, or examine me at all, or prescribe me anything for the pain (because i am breastfeeding a 3mo old baby full time, and he told me that i could not take anything he would have recommended while i am nursing). he told me to try some vagisil to help lubricate the urethra, but no other directions...

my bladder is very full and achy, and after urination when my bladder is empty i have very sharp, stabbing pains. i feel very strongly that this doctor was incompetent, and i do not feel reassured at all by his half-hearted diagnosis... i wish i would have insisted that he at least refer me to someone who could have actually helped me! this pain is unbearable at time and i am also feeling very nauseous because of it. i am sipping fluids continuously but am unable to eat more than a few bites of food. this has been going on since yesterday morning...

any advice or help would be appreciated! TIA!
I would see a different doctor for a better diagnosis. If it wasnt a UTI then it might be Interstitial Cystitis or like he suggested non-specific urethritis, as they are inflamations rather than infections.

Your doing the right thing by keeping up your fluids, water will help. Also, avoid anything acidic, both fluid and food. Tho if you are breastfeeding you really should try eat something to keep your energy levels up.

I dont know why he said vagisil would lubricate the urethra :S it may help relieve stinging at the tip of the urethra (tho germolene is better as it has anaesthetic in it) You could try a hot water bottle to put on your bladder or in between your legs to cancel out the pain in the urethra (sounds odd i know but it helps me a LOT when i get urethral pain.)

Good luck and dont let the doctors dismiss it like its nothing, if its causing a lot of pain and making you feel like your not your self then obviously it needs to be investigated. (its taken me ages to finally get somewhere with my problems cause doctors find out im a student nurse and think its all in my head)