Urology Expert Forum
pain after urination

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

pain after urination

Last night I developed an intense pain/sensation after the completion of urination.  This happened to me 5 years ago, for only one night and I did not recieve any treatment.  I've never experienced this before or after then until now.  It started last night and I still have it tonight.  The sensation I feel does in no way burn and is not always painful.  I'm wondering what I probably have and how to treat it.  

Dear Stephanie,

It is possible that you had a urinary tract infection and your body was able to fight it without taking antibiotics.  This is usually associated with burning while urinating and urgency and frequency.  My other suggestion due to your complaint of pain, is  called interstitial cystitis, a chronic condition associated with nonspecific voiding symptoms one of the primary symptoms being pain.  It is possible that you have to beginning s of this group of symptoms however your problems at this point in time appear quite minor.
I will include some information about Interstitial cystitis below, but again do not worry that you are somehow abnormal.  IC can affect people of any age,race or sex.  It is, however, most commonly found in women.  A 1987 epidemiological study estimated that 450,000 people may be affected by the disease.  The symptoms include:
-Frequency-Day and/or night urination(up to 60 times a day in severe cases.)  In early or very mild cases,frequency is sometimes the only symptom.
-Urgency-The sensation of having to urinate immediately may also be accompanied by pain,pressure or spasms.
-Pain-Can be in the abdominal,urethral,or vaginal area.  Pain is also frequently associated with sexual intercourse.
-Other Disorders-Sometimes patients also report experiencing symptoms such as muscle and joint pain,migraines,allergic reactions,colon and stomach problems as well as the more common symptoms of IC described above.
Diagnosis is very difficult and must follow several steps:
1)Urine cultures must be negative
2)Rule out other associated disease
3)cystoscopy-routine cystoscopy in the clinic may not be sufficient to make a diagnosis of IC. It is usually necessary to distend the bladder under general anesthesia in or to see pinpoint hemorrhages on the bladder wall a hallmark of this disease.  It may even be necessary for a biopsy to be take at that time as well.
Treatments
1)Bladder distention
2)Oral medication-anti-inflammatory drugs,antispasmotics,antihistamines and muscle relaxants.
3)DMSO(Dimethlyl Sulfoxide)-bladder instillation
4)Elmiron-(Sodium Pentosanpolysulfate)
5)Anti-depressants
6)Diet
7)Tens Unit
8)Silver Nitrate
9)Clorpactin WCS-90
10)Self Help- biofeedback
11)Surgery
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-AK
*keyword:painful urinating

A related discussion, not sure was started.