Urology Community
pain from catheter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

pain from catheter

My husband has had a catheter for 3 weeks because he couldn't urinate... They inserted the catheter after he became ill with epiditimitis. He has a bacterial infection  in his testical and the testical is just now starting to get smaller... The catheter has irritated the tip of the penis so much that he is in a great deal of pain and oxicodone  is not cutting the pain... He must have this catheter in place until the inflamation (inflammation) in his testical subsides enough to have laser surgery on his prostate. What are some options he can try? We went to the emergency room  and asked the ER DR. His repy, use gynalotramin... That medication burns... I don't think that is the answer... help!
Hi I too have experienced a simmilar case with epiditimitis. Currently I have had a urethral catheter in from March 2008 till about March of 2009. From March 2009 up to current, I have a suprapubic catheter. I too experienced pain both at the meatus as well as bladder spasms. At times pain can seem to come from the penis but may have a different origin. Due to other neurological problems I was prescribed Statex Morphine for pain. I also used Xylocain cream to put around the catheter to dull the pain. For the bladder spams I use Buscopan to control it.
For the epiditimitis ice packs can be usefull.
As strange as things sounds, drinking lots of water does help. Stay away from spicy foods and anything that contains cafeine.
Ask your doctor for Xylocaine 5% cream and maybe even the 2% jelly to squeeze inbetween the catheter and the tip of the penis.
Securing the catheter and the penis might be of help too. The irritation takes place when the catheter moves in and out of the urethra. If you can minimize this movement there should be a difference.
I have my catheter secured to my leg during the day. At night time I have it more secured to my lower abdomen.
I know what it is like, I had the catheter in for a year. It looks like I will need to have a catheter for quite a while yet. I still use the Xylocaine cream where the catheter enters the area between the belly button and penis.
I actually find the suprapubic to be a bit more of a problem since it is right at waist level. This causes constant movement of the catheter.

All the best.

Ron