Urology Expert Forum
penile erectile tissue ischemia with prolonged erections ?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I normally wake with erections in the morning which seem to be persistent while I am sleeping.  The other morning I awoke with an erection, immediately went to the computer for online chat with my fiancee.  My erection was sustained during our entire chat time of 1 hr and 15 min, even though our discussion was on various topics.  We did get in to sex play towards the end of the conversation with ejaculation. I had no pain during this time. I later became concerned of the total time that I had maintained an erection with the 1hr 15min plus whatever time I had an erection during sleep.  Is such an activity a risk in terms of causing permanent damage to the erectile tissue of the penis ?
Since that time, a few days now, I have been unable to achieve a normal erection and have not had any morning erections.  Is it my anxiety or could I have possible caused permanent damage to my penis ?  Is there blood turnover in the penis with a normal or nocturnal erection as opposed to priapism where blood flow is completely blocked ?
The length of an erection can vary, and under normal circumstances an extended erection should not lead to permanent damage.  

Diseases like sickle cell anemia can lead to priapism, which is a dangerous side effect.  

Imaging the penis for structural damage and blood flow can be considered if the symptoms continue.  I would also consider blood tests to evaluate for any hormonal problems.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0