Urology Expert Forum
penile insensitivity
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

penile insensitivity

Over the course of the past two top three years, I have experienced gradually developing insensitivity in the penis -- not complete -- but as of now I would estimate 50% of normal life-long sensitivity. I am 56 years old.

I have no known health problems, do not smoke, have no history of cardiovasular problems, drink only occasionally and in very moderate quantity when I do (1-2 glasses of wine, for example.)

I have no erectile disfunctionality and can achieve normal orgasm under condition of persistent stimulation in about 75% of coital intercourse events, but the insensitivity problem substantially reduces the pleasure of stimulation and result, etc.

Is this condition normal part of aging; if not, is it treatable?
Tags: penile, years
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
There can be several factors that can lead to decreased penile sensitivity.  

This can include alcohol use, diabetes or neurologic disease.  Sugar, thyroid function, and vitamin B12 levels can be measures for any abnormalities.  An ultrasound can also image for any anatomical abnormality.

If the symptoms continue, you can decrease alcohol use to see if this helps.  A referral to a neurologist can be considered if the symptoms continue.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank