Urology Expert Forum
penile vein

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

penile vein

About 6 months ago after having intercourse I noticed the head of my penis appeared to be swollen, but the swelling was in lines, two lines appeared, one on the top and the other on the right side of the glans (glands).  The swelling went down over night but in the morning I noticed a little swelling was still present on the right side, the selling went from the base of the glans (glands) to the opening.  After looking at it closer I noticed a small blue vein was in the middle of the swelling.  I went to see my doctor who told me not to worry about it, he explained that as I got older veins could come to the surface, and because of the type skin covering the glans (glands) it could appear to be swollen.  The selling comes and goes, and really has no pattern or cause. And of course when I go to the doctors office the swelling is all but gone, just to return at a later date. I really don't notice any pain in the area, occassionally I feel a dull ache, but that could be because I am expecting to feel pain with swelling.  I am concerned because I am 36 years old and have never had any type of problem like this before, and it truly bothers me not to know what is going on.  Is this something I need to see a specialist about?  Or is it normal?
One consideration would be penile vein thrombosis, which can increase the visability of the vein.  This is sometimes known as Mondor's disease.  An ultrasound can be considered for further evaluation and diagnosis.

Treatment can be done with NSAIDs and normally can resolve the symptoms in a few weeks to months.

If the symptoms worsen or continue despite conservative therapy, a urology referral can be considered for possible surgical therapy.  

I would suggest a urology referral for another opinion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b