Urology Community
persistent UTI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

persistent UTI

I was diagnosed by my GYN in late september with a UTI.  i'm 26. I had no symptoms at all, and had no idea.  She said I had blood in my urine and my white count was really high.  I was put on doxycycline for 14 days ( i am allergic to sulfa and pen.).  I had to return to the GYN to have a colposcopy performed, and was put on doxycycline again for that procedure for two weeks.  About a week later, I went back to the doc with back pain and frequent urination (but  no burning) and they changed me to macrobid for a week.  They said I didnt "grow anything weird", but I still had a UTI.  This past friday I went to a regular doctor's office (too late to see GYN) still not feeling better (no fever, but super fatigued between school and work) and they switched me to cipro for a week, stating I had a WBC of over 500 in my urine.  I am still having side pain and back pain, it almost hurts to touch.  When should I go see a specialist with this, or should I continue with my GYN's office, and when should I be worried this isn't going away?

Hi there,

Hope you are doing fine now. Well it appears that you are still having a UTI; which may not have healed with the antibiotics that you mentioned. What has to be done is Urine Culture and sensitivity; to see which antibiotics the organism is sensitive to.
Also many times the sexual partner may actually be harboring the pathogen; leading to recurrent UTIs.
UTI are diagnosed best with Urine cultures. Urinary tract infection is nearly always caused by a single species of bacteria, notably E. coli. Cultures have limitations, however. If a mix of different species is found, the test is considered contaminated and is redone. In addition, even if E. coli is identified, researchers are also looking for variants of these bacteria. Certain types may indicate a higher risk for a second infection, while others may even be protective against recurring infections. Furthermore, some organisms, such as Chlamydia, which is a sexually transmitted organism, may not be detected.
So you see all you need to do is follow-up with your gynecologist for a urine culture test.
If you have any more questions feel free to get in touch with me.

Regards,
Dr Sylvester, MD