Urology Community
possible misdiagnosis of prostatitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

possible misdiagnosis of prostatitis

I am an 18 year old male.  About 3 weeks ago it started to burn whenever I urinated.  I went in to the Student Health Center on campus, and they ran tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia, and the doctor gave me antibiotics for each as a "just in case."  I know one was cipro, and i forget what the other was.  In any case, when I got the results back about a week ago, it turns out i was negative for both.  The doctor then had a "urinalysis" done, and it came back without any real flags.  He then sent me for a Urologist consult.  Today when I went, the urologist did another urine test, checked out my penis, gave me a quick prostate exam consisting of him putting his finger in and asking if it hurt (it did), and then just telling me it's swollen, therefore it's prostatitis, and prescribing 10 days of Levaquin (Levofloxacin) 500mg.  When I checked out the the levaquin site, the only type of prostatitis it's supposed to be used for is chronic bacterial, and then it's supposed to be taken for 28 days.  It can also be used for urinary tract infections, but for those it's only supposed to be used at 250mg.  When I took an azo urinary tract infection test a few days ago, it said I didn't have one.  So I am a little concerned that he just automatically said prostatitis without really checking if it was bacterial or not, without asking if I'd ever had something like this before (I hadn't), and then prescribing a powerful antibiotic that is supposed to be used for "severe and life threatening cases" at a weird dosage/period.  Should I take the antibiotic or what?
Old post, but non the less the individual makes plenty of mistakes in his assessment.  levaquin can be used for chronic prostatitis pelvic pain,chronic bacterial prostatitis, acute prostatitis and asymptomatic prostatitis. The fact that you stated it can only be used for chronic bacterial is a false statement.

Levaquin is generally given in 500 mg the 250 mg is only for weak infections.
If you have an STD in which you claimed you had then that is why the 500mg of levaquin was prescribed. With all of this being stated, it is individuals like yourself who cry wolf that force a lot of doctors to believe that sick patients are nothing more than hypochondriacs. You actually hurt sick patients chance of being cured when you cry wolf because of some bladder irritation and try to make doctors believe you have a hidden bladder infection which is completely ridiculous and asinine. And yes you are a true hypochondriac