Urology Expert Forum
post vasectomy pain

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

post vasectomy pain

I'm 38, and had a vasectomy 9 months ago - ever since, I've had pain in my left testicle.  Feels like it's constantly being pinched or pricked, sort of all over.  Some days better, some days worse.  Been to 3 urologists.  First said he could do nothing.  Second said to try 4 Aleve a day for a month, and hot baths as needed.  Didn't really help much.  Third did an ultrasound and found a lump which he thinks is either a cyst or a granuloma, and may, or may not be, the cause of my pain.  He can go in and remove it, during which time he's also recut the ends of the vas and attempt to strip away any old nerves.  But he also said there's no guarantee that it will help, and a small chance it will worsen the problem.  one doc said it could take up to 2 yrs for pain to go away by itself, and I'm trying to hold out, but I'm tired of being uncomfortable, and am considering the surgery (especially on bad days when it seems to be getting worse!)

Any thoughts?

Anybody have experience with cyst/granuloma removal?  Worth it?

Anybody know a PVP specialist in California (I'm in SF Bay Area)?

thanks.
Post-vasectomy pain can vary depending on the surgeon and patient.  

Imaging the area to see if there are any other masses present can be considered.  An CT scan or scrotal ultrasound can be considered.

If negative, removal of the potential cyst can be considered.  As the urologist mentioned, there is no guarantee of success.  

Sometimes scar tissue from the surgery can lead to the symptoms.  

Obtaining continued urologic opinions can be considered if the diagnosis remains unclear.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0