Urology Community
post-vasectomy pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

post-vasectomy pain

I had a vasectomy three months ago and have had nothing but problems since, i have had either a hematoma or a hydrocel (no one can tell me exactly) epidymitis, and now granulomas. I have seen three doctors in the practice that did the procedure ( one told me to come back in six months because he did not know what to do) and two at another.
I feel the pain is tolerable in the morning and it gets worse as the day goes by, if I try to mow the lawn, the next day I'am miserable . I have been on aleve and ibuprofin for 7 weeks and tramidol for 5 weeks (it is the ony reason i can function) . Is there anyone in the detroit area with expirence who can help with post vasectomy pain? I want to do a reversal at his point because I feel it would get rid of the pain, but the doctors i have seen say to keep waiting, my pain has not changed for two months I do not see how this is going to help. i have gone from being heathy to being in pain and going to doctors , sometimes twice a week.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
What you are suffering from is known as post vasectomy pain syndrome which can have multiple underlying causes.
A slightly “rough or shoddy” surgery where significant amounts of tissue and nerves have been damaged can cause lingering irritation of the nerves. This is one of the most difficult to treat. However, possible treatments could include exploration of the area to remove scarred or inflamed tissue or just allowing time to heal.
A sperm granuloma could develop post vasectomy that becomes inflamed and irritates the surrounding nerve endings. The sperm granuloma is a build up of extravasated sperms at the end of the cut vas tube end. The reason why a sperm granuloma may develop is not clearly known.
In the case of a sperm granuloma, injecting it with steroids or actually removing the inflamed granuloma has been found to be effective. Surgery should be the last resort.
A neuroma resulting from the inflammation of the surrounding nerves can also develop. Treatment is done by locally injecting with the anesthetic agents.
In some patients, a congestive state develops in the epididymis and can result in the pain and reversal of the vasectomy can relieve the pain. Also if a vasectomy is done too close to the epididymis can result in the chronic pain and inflammation in the epididymis and it has to be treated with anti-inflammatory drugs or epididymectomy.
I sincerely hope that helps. Please do keep me posted. Kind Regards.
I have now gone to a pain specialist and he gave gabapentin ( the nerve drug) I will see how that works.
The gabapentin seems to take away 75-80% of the pain but I still have pain and discomfort. I want the doctor to go in and see what the problem is. Would'nt that be better than another ultrasound?