Urology Community
problem urinating after catheter removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

My 51 yr old husband was recently in an accident (4/16/09) and broke C1 and C2 in his neck and has been fitted with a Halo.  While in the hospital they inserted a catheter.  He stubbornly tried to pull it out himself the following evening but only managed to get it out half way.  A nurse removed the catheter about an hour later.  Since then (it's been 5 weeks), he is still experiencing a slight burn at the head of his penis, he has been urinating roughly every two hours and the "stream" stops and starts as he tries to go.  I have to give him injections of 80mg Lovenox 2x/day due to a blood clot in the ventrical artery which he damaged when he fell from our roof.  Would the Lovenox cause any of these symptoms?  Is this normal to experience these issues even after 5 weeks of having the catheter removed?  Could he have damaged something when he tried to pull the cath out himself?