Urology Expert Forum
problems after surgery to rebuild bladder

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

i had my bladder rebuilt using part of my large intestine. unfortunately i have had constant problems since then. the original problem was my bladder losing size due to some unknown reason. i was tried on various meds but none helped after the initial period of using them. my bladder had shut down to a 75ml storage function. since the surgery i have had constant problems with infections and have to catherize twice daily. when i catherize i lose small amounts of blood into the tube. i also lose slime which the doctor says is mucous from the intestinal walls. i have constant problems with pain in my stomach area and have to push to urinate. another problem i have is i am an infantryman in the military and see no way to possibly catherize in a field environment. we dont even get soap and water to wash ours hands before meals much less a catheter. i was given iodine pads and told that cleaning the exterior of the tube would suffice but i feel that the urine and infectuous material in the tube and the syringe will cause further infections. any information will be helpful and your advice and opinions greatly appreciated. sincerely yours, wayne
Dear Wayne,
You had what was called a bladder augmentation.  Mucous from an intestinal augment is common, and irrigation is often encouraged.  This will help prevent obstruction of the outflow, and facilitate emptying of the bladder.  Sometimes a full bladder, can cause a lot of pain.  As you stated, you must push on you abdomen to urinate, this is a result of the inability of your bladder to increase its pressure sufficient to eliminate the urine.  This inability to increase bladder pressure often doesn