Urology Expert Forum
progressively worsening soft erections

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

progressively worsening soft erections

I recently turned 33 and have been experiencing soft erections, even when I masturbate.  I am married, and my wife and I have intercourse every other night usually, but usually engage in some sort of sexual activity usually every night.  In addition, I usually masturbate 3 or 4 times a week.  My erections have been progressively getting softer and now they are not rigid at all, with the blood seeming to go only 3/4 way up my penis.  I know the "head" does not get hard, but it would usually swell during erections, now it really doesn't.  In addition, it is taking me much longer to ejaculate, and the amount of ejaculate is much less, especially the second time I achieve an orgasm that day, the eljaculate is almost non existent.  I am in very good health, I rarely drink, do not smoke, exercise regularly - I am 5'8.5'', and 150lbs, italian and have a mild case of "thalesemia" (anemia).  My weight has not changed during this time. I went to see a doctor and he said that it is usually caused by psychological problems, but I am less stressed than I have ever been.  I used to be on prilosec a few years ago becs I was under so much stress, but I am no longer on it because my stress level has decreased.  I am worried and reluctant to go to another doctor to hear I am nuts - what could cause something like this to happen.  I have also not experienced any erections in the mornings for at least 4 months, not one!, and this is something that has happened every morning since I was 12 1/2.  They spontaneaously disappeared - please help, this is making me feel very lousy and though my wife understands fully, I feel very upset.  I do not know if this matters, but I recently moved to a very warm climate from NY, and have been here for 13 months now. Thanks!!!!!!
_
Dear Doug,
It sounds like you need to have a formal evaluation by a urologist.  There are a number of reasons why someone could develop erectilie dysfunction which I will explain to you.  In regards to your situation, it sounds like you are currently able to adequate sexual relations by a urologists standards in that you are rigid enough to achieve penetration.  It is normal for the volume of semen to decrease after repeated ejaculations.
An erection requires intact psychological, neurological,endocrine , arterial, venous, and sinusoidal systems.  Erectile dysfunction is broken down into organic versus psychological in terms of causes.  Some of the traditional causes of  organic erectile dysfunction include diabetes mellitus, coronary artery disease, medication, trauma, peyronie