Urology Expert Forum
prostatitis

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

prostatitis

i was diag. with prostatitis in feb.2006 the doctor said it was bacterial prostatitis because he saw pus when he did a cystoscopy. i found out reading other sites it is not diagnosed that way and he was guessing. the treatment i was given was leviquin after 10 days i started having chest pains so i was put on septra ds for 30 more. after 10 days  of levisquine and 5 days of the septra i started feelng much better the pain seemed to be gone and after i completed the complete course of antibiotics i had a check up with the urologist. he thought i was cured and i will still take time to heal.  he said he saw inflamatiion when he did the cystoscopy and nothing else. my symptoms are these mild split stream that normalizes, low ejactulate volume,dribbling at end of urination, and some irittation after i urinate once and awhile.  it seems as though i have blockage from swelling but shouldnt that have gone down by now.my questions are these.
1:seeing i had inflamation (inflammation) as seen from the cysto and most all the symptoms were cured why do i have these remaining symptoms of obstruction do you think it could be bph.i am 40 and my twin brother has bph. 2:seeing as though the infection was fought why do i still have symptoms.3:i have heard that prostatitis burns itself out over time is that true there is so much garbage i honestly do not know what to expect or believe.4:what would you recommend i do for these remaining symptoms.5:. are these symptoms that can be helped i have heard prostate massege could help this do you think the massage would clear a blockage that is causeing these problems. i have been specific in my questions could you please answer as thouroughas you can thank you
To answer your questions:
1) BPH is possible - however, this can be evaluated with a rectal exam or transrectal ultrasound.  Medications like Flomax can be used to help if this is the case.

2) Sometimes prostatitis requires extended courses of antibiotics.  A prostatic massage and subsequent analysis of the prostatic fluid can be done to help with the diagnosis.

3) Without proper treatment, it would be unlikely for the prostatitis to be self-limited if there is a bacterial cause.

4) I would consider the prostatic massage as well as a transrectal ultrasound.

5) (see above answers)

These options can be discussed with your urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_