Urology Expert Forum
puzzled. cloudy urine frequent urination for over 2 months

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I have posted earlier but my urinary problem seems to be getting stranger by the day. In October I started having frequent excessive urination. I've been urinating an average 12-15 times a day. Often it seems whatever I drink comes straight out in urine. And I've been feeling the need to drink more than usual as well.

Beginning of November I've started having occasional cloudy urine as well. At first it was just once a day but now it seems to happen in the afternoon or whenever I haven't drunk anything for more than 3 hours. My urine is never cloudy in the morning. I went to a urologist where they did a urine test (the 3rd one since I started having the problem) and it was negative for everything. Unfortunately they did it when my urine was clear. Would my urine being cloudy or clear at the time of test have any affect on the results? My urologist only told me the lack of water could cause it (even though I've been drinking like a dog) and put me on a 24 hour voiding test, which I have yet to get the results from. I've done blood tests and urine tests showing nothing significant. Could I be having some hidden infection or disorder? What can cause cloudy urine?
Infection and dehydration can cause a cloudy, denser-looking urine.  Repeated urine tests as well as the 24-hr voiding test would be reasonable steps for evaluation.

In terms of looking for infection, STD testing for gonorrhea and chlamydia certainly should be done, as well as prostate tests.  There are some difficult cases of prostatitis that can cause chronic infection - a transrectal ultrasound can be considered to image the prostate for this possibility.  I would also consider blood tests to evaluate the kidney function.

You may want to discuss these options with your urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0
0
0
0
0
0