Urology Community
pyeloplasty surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

pyeloplasty surgery

i had a pyloplasty operation feb 8th and wow what a journey ive been on im getting there now but im still having problems with pain in my kidney and after everything i went through this is unnerving as my procedure that was an open op was suppose to be between 4-5 hours and actually took 8 hours and the 5 inch cut turned into an 11 inch scar and with no explanation except there were complications that i still dont know about. i also had 2 months of severe bladder pain which felt like cystitis gone mad it was horrendous i couldnt stand for longer than a minute and walking was horrendous! i went to the doctors with very infected waterworks and he treated me with every antibiotic he could and unfortunately it was caused by the stent which was rubbing on my bladder wall! once that was tken out in april i was like a new woman!!! ive been signed off now back to work but still cant drink properly due to my kidney pain and im still in lots of pain especially if i roll on to my bad side in the night its really sore and my scar gets very irritated i still am in awe of what the surgeon has done for me but worry he was maybe abit slap dash in closing my case or is all this pain expected 4 months on? thanks by the way im 30 years old not completely unfit and have a very active job.

This discussion is related to What is a pyeloplasty?.
Hi, I did not have the same thing as you but have been through many surgeries, the last one being a suprapubic catheter due to a fistula between the prostate and rectum.

During a catheter change the doctor at the time put in a 20Fr. catheter with a larger balloon and a long tip. Like you this caused major pain and bladder spasms. Luckily I had this catheter for only three weeks when the urologist changed the catheter after a cystoscopy.

As I had mentioned I have had numerous surgeries but only one gave me pain for over a year. I had had a vasectomy and ended up with a hematoma. The hematoma was removed as an emergency surgery 3 days after the vasectomy. Over about a year of pain, I ended up in emergency to have a necrotic staph infected testicle removed.

All my other surgeries, including a right inguinal incarcerated hernia recovered well. Very litttle pain for about 2 to 4 weeks. The fact that you have been in pain for 4 months would indicate that something is not right. The scar line should be healed after four months. Ask for a referral to a diffferent urologist to get a second opinion. I don't want to scare you but it could be that something else is wrong.

All the best.

Ron