Urology Expert Forum
pyuria with sterile cultures
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

pyuria with sterile cultures

i am a 42 y.o female with a 2 year history of pyelonephritis with pan allergic responses to antibiotics with the exception of cephalosporins,aminoglycosides, and floxacins.
  i am ivp negative, cysto with dmso negative with the exception of positive cultures for lactobacillus in bladder, ureters, and renal pelvis.
  i continue to suffer flare ups of very specific left upper quadrant pain through to left flank pain, somnolence only during flares, nausea, abd pain, night sweats,weight loss. No
  lower UTI sx's. My urine consisistently shows sterile cultures, 25-50WBC's or 50-100wbcs, 25-50 squamous, large leukoesterase. Sometimes there is bacteria ,sometimes not.
  My original pyelo grew klebsiella and i was hospitalized and given rocephin and gent. I am PPD & ANA negative. CBC is mostly normal , although WBC's are 3k-4k. My urologist is
  frustrated with me as is my internist. I don't want to see doctor's anymore if it's not necessary. Should I just learn to live with it? Is there any danger to ignoring
  pyuria?. I would have ignored it this time but I lost 5 pounds in a week and it felt ominous when combined with my other sx's. I went on Suprax but with no change and have
  been sleeping for 3 days. I have no fever that I am aware of .  In November I had a flare up and reluctantly the doctor treated me with 120mg of gentamycin IM. Within 12
  hours I felt wonderful and the effects lasted 4 days then I began the downward spiral again. He won't give me any more. Symptoms seems worse in the week preceeding my menstrual cycle.
  I would be so grateful if you could give me a clue or just tell me to ignore it all safely.Thank you again.