Urology Community
recuperating after cytoscopy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

recuperating after cytoscopy

i may have to have a cytoscopy.if i do,will i have to take time off work?this sounds like quite a serious procedure.i was also wondering about the recuperation period.how long is it likely to be and[as i live alone]will i be able to cope on my own?i would be most grateful for any advice on this.thankyou.
I had a cystoscopy in January - day surgery - had cystoscopy at 1.00pm got home at 3.00pm. There was a very little bleeding and a bit stingy when I passed urine, but the following day I was fine. A woman in the next bed to me was on her 14th (yes 14th!) cystoscopy and told me it was OK - and it was. Don't worry about it. You should probably take a couple of days off work just to get over the anaesthetic and if possible have someone with you overnight when you get home. When I came home I just lay on the couch with a hot water bottle and watched TV all evening. You must drink plenty afterwards to flush out your bladder - I was drinking loads of water so I guess that helped me. It's really not a serious procedure - it's done in minutes and you'll be fine. Take care and let us know how you get on.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Let me ask what  the indication is  for doing the cystoscopy?

I understand your concern and it is good to have an overview of the procedure so you may know what to expect.I suggest however that before the procedure do not hesitate to inform your physician any concerns. Infom him of all medications that you are currently taking including blood thinners ( eg aspirin) when applicable.

Cystoscopy is not really a complex procedure. It may be done in the operating room with anesthesia administered. You need time off from work probably for 2 to 3 days depending on the advice of your physician. The procedure itself lasts for a few minutes.If your physician deems it necessary to remove samples for biopsy ,then the procedure may last longer. As for any invasive procedure,cystoscopy has its own share of risks. However, in most cases minor events are expected such as burning sensation during urination and minimal hematuria ( blood in urine). I believe,you will be able to handle this on your own.

I shall refer this site to you for further reference:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/cystoscopy/page3_em.htm

Do keep us posted.
my doctor sent me to the e.r. because of pain after urination.the diagnosis was chr.prostatitis and the procedure was recomended to rule out any kind of bladder problem.[i'm translating from a medical report in hebrew which is not as simple as it sounds.i hope i'm getting this right.]the e.r. doctor said it might even be unnescesary but that my own urologist would have to decide.thanks.