Urology Expert Forum
recurrent life-threatening pyelonephritis
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

recurrent life-threatening pyelonephritis

25 yo dgt with UTIs beginning in college age 18.Became more freq. and then kidney infections. Hosp more than not x 1 yr,  now responds only to IV ABT;last week hosp with Klebsiella pneumoniae kidney inf, a virulent "super-bug" with 50% mortality rate. Now responding to treatment. April hosp. with chest pain: new condition...sphincter of odi dysfunction, snipped surgically. Mayo Rochester diagnosed her with Loin Pain Hematuria Syndrome (kidney pain and blood in urine without any kidney damage)since she is always in severe bilat flank pain (moderately controlled with narcotics) and has chronic hematuria. Has consolidated care at Brigham and Women's Hospital Boston but they are at a loss for etiology of her on-going infections, as are immunologist, neurologist, cardiologist, endocrinologist, gastroenterologist, urologist,nephrologist. Every test, CTscan, sonogram negative. Yet decline continues with hosp almost continuously with kidney infections. Now life-threatening infections. Recently consulted doc at Cleveland Clinic via email and he wondered if the sphincter of odi and something with the ureters may both share the same smooth muscle pathophysiology. Is there anywhere else you can point us? I fear time is running out for my daughter. Thank you. Elizabeth  for Caitlin