Urology Community
removal of suprapubic catheter
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

removal of suprapubic catheter

I have a suprapubic catheter and haven't had it very long. The doctor keeps saying he wants to change it for a new one, but when he does, I have terrible pain, a 12 on a scale of 1-10. He has changed it out twice, and wants to change it one more time, but it hurts so bad, I'm afraid to go again. He said it wouldn't hurt this last time, but you could have heard me yell for 2 miles. Should it be that painful, after having it changed out once already?
Related Discussions
963889_tn?1359680934
I had one for years and it near killed me to have it changed!!!! i now have had my bladder out so dont need one anymore lol.  It is usually changed every four weeks and if the pain was form the surgical site it should NOT hurt next time.  It can take several weeks to heal and settle. However, the reason mine hurt so much was that the bladder was super sensitive and would spasm the second it felt the cath being moved ie it grabbed onto it for sweet life! as it spasmed around it.  If it is hard to pull out, it likely means that the pain is from spasming.  If this is the case ie hard to remove hence pain, try taking anti spasmodics for 24 hour lead up to change, might help god I can really sympathise with you 12 our of 15 ??? I say 50 out of 10!!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Urology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...