scrotum incision will not heal closed
After a gall bladder removal, the next day my scrotum swelled up the size of a grapefruit.  Extremely painful to touch.

The third day they removed an abscess (they didn't tell me where).  The made a 1" incision in the side and also made a small drain hole in the bottom of my scrotum.

When the stitches fell out two days ago the incision opened up to 1/4" and I can see a white membrane inside.  It has been 23 days since the incision was made.   The edges of the incision now appear to be healed over.

The drain hole has not healed closed and still drips.

I'm afraid to take a shower or go outside and work.  I could get an infection inside my scrotum.

Question:   Are they going to have to trim the edges of the incision and stitch them together???.

Question:  I have never heard of an incision stitched together that would heal closed.  Have you???

Have you had a follow up with your surgeon already?

An abscess was drained from the scrotum and  open drainage was done to decompress the area. Closing tthe incision site may prevent total drainage of the abscess and may also cause the abscess to recur and result to compression of nearby structures.

I suggest you discuss this with your surgeon. I do not think they will be stitching this together. Wound healing may take a while. Do you still take your antibiotics? Wound healing may be disrupted in the persistence of an infection.

Keep us posted regarding your physician's advice.