Urology Community
shaft of penis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

shaft of penis

I have a small lump at the base of the shaft of the penis it appeared to be an infected hair follicle tender to touch today the entire shaft of the penis is swollen and red painful to touch. earlier i had tried heat to the area now i am trying ice. do i need to see a uroligist or a general surgeon there seems to be no problem with urine flow
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The lump that you had on your penis sounds like a boil or infected hair follicle. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus.

Pls keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful.In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed.Pls consult a dermatologist in that case.

I hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted.Warm regards.