size of kidney stone
what is called a large kidney stone, that should need medical treatments. and what is a usual size the should pass by itself?
my father was diagnosed with kidney stones of a size of 4 mm is this called big? or is it the comon size

Most kidney stones eventually pass through the urinary tract on their own within 48 hours.  Increased fluid intake and pain medications can help. There are several factors which influence the ability to pass a stone. These include the size of the person, prior stone passage, prostate enlargement, pregnancy, and the size of the stone. A 4 mm stone has an 80% chance of passage while a 5 mm stone has a 20% chance. Stones larger than 9-10 mm rarely pass on their own and usually require treatment. (http://www.medicinenet.com/kidney_stone/page3.htm)

Take care and keep us posted.
hello,     I recently had a 5mm kidney stone and had it removed. The urologist was going to put a stent inside of me. And when they did the procedure they were able to remove it. I have to see a urologist. He told me not to get pregnant. I was in the hospital trying to pass it for 3 days and it was worse than child birth. What is the best thing to do to prevent  that from coming back? I quite drinking pop and coffee. i have been mostly drinking water. Will that help?