Urology Expert Forum
small uretha opening

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

small uretha opening

i ,am retaining urine, in my,bladder, due to a very small, uretha ,opening, i have been advised to have my uretha opening enlarged. what is the name, of the surgery and, what is involved in the procedure,
If your urologist is talking about stretching the opening, then you would be having a urethral dilatation. This is accomplished by passing progressively larger metal bars into the opening after you have been given an anesthesia. It the narrowing is truly just at the opening to your penis, then reconstructing it would be either  a meatoplasty or a meatotomy. Your urologist would make an incision in the end of your penis and possibly stitch the lining of the urethra on each side to the cut edges of the head of your penis, There are other related procedures, but these are the most common.
You should talk to your urologist ahead of time so that you can understand and know what is planned.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.