Urology Expert Forum
sore groin

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

sore groin

I contracted Gonorrhea about 7 months ago. I treated it straight away ,actually went to 2 doctors and had 2 seperate lots of antibiotics after I researched that Quinoline type antibiotics are not really effective sometimes. Anyhow 2 weeks later I tested negative to Gonorrhea. I tested again a few weeks later out of paranoia and again negative. So I have to assume the gonorrhea cleared up. The problem that I want to ask about, is actually more about what the after effects I guess. I dont have enlarged Lymph nodes in the groin, but for about 5 months I felt a bit tender  (mainly on the right side) There is a lymph node that I can feel, but its very small. It was never a real sharp pain, more like sore muscles after hard exercise type of pain. I also have a slight inflamation (inflammation) at the urethra opening and around the head of the penis. Is it normal for there to be discomfort in the groin after having Gonorrhea? If so, how long does it usually last? (when I say groin, I mean the area just to the right and left of the penis, under the pubic hair)

Has the gonorrhea somehow weakened my sytsem a bit? I feel healthy etc, but I do get a lot of herpes breakouts since the treatment. (herpes was contracted 20 years ago). What sort of period am I looking at to get back to normal? If I was to see another doctor, should it be a urologist, or maybe a skin specialist? Is there any foods that would help? (someone mentioned cranberries?)

Anyhow my discomfort is quite small and does not bother me so much but any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Many men experience persistent mild discomfort in their genitals after contracting STI's (the new term for STD's) for a period of time. I have never been able to find anything in these individuals and I think that it is anxiety related. Herpes is also known to recur in the face of anxiety/stress. The urethral meatal redness that you describe is not typical of patients who have had urethritis. You may be just paying more attention to your genitals than you used to.
After gonorrhea that has been swiftly and adequately treated, there are seldom long term problems. . It does not sound as if you need to worry about these in your case.
Chalk it up to experience and be VERY CAREFUL. Absolutely no unprotected sex unless you are in the relationship for the long haul. There are diseases out there that can kill you if you are not careful (and you have not been careful at least twice, so far.
S.A.Liroff, M.D
.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not  necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition
The inflamation (inflammation)/redness at the end of the penis , seems to happen more at night. It gets a bit better if I have a hot bath. Maybe that will help your assessment. It gets normal again in the morning when I wake up.

Thanks a lot , your advice has put me at ease a bit. Its funny that there is so much information on the net about the treatment of Gonorrhea but I couldn't find anything about post treatment and what to expect.

I did have a HIV test 12 weeks after the incident, and it was negative. I actually got gonorrhea from receiving oral sex only, which I beleive is pretty hard to get HIV from anyway. But I have definitely become a lot wiser and will never put myself in this predicament again.

Thanks again

Dubbo22
Just one final question, you mentioned that some men experience mild discomfort for a period of time. Usually how long is that?

Thanks In Advance

Dubbo22
My impression is that the discomfort resolves when they can put anxiety ( and in some cases, guilt/shame) behind them and move on. I cannot give you a reference, just my impression. I do not think that it is a truly physical issue.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

You may be right, I did tell my wife because of the guilt, and she was angry but forgave me, we went to Australia for a holiday and during that time we got on very well and I did not feel the discomfort so much, but then coming back to japan and getting back into a super busy routine it did return.