Urology Expert Forum
staff urinary tract infection

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

staff urinary tract infection

After suffering for about 2 weeks with intermitent discomfort, i contacted by PCP from out of town about a UTI and he ordered cipro.  Took the dose got not better, called again.  He ordered a longer dose.  When I got back into town, I went to see him as it was no better, and he did a clean catch mid-stream culture.  He called to say it was a staff infection and ordered e-tabs.  Since then I still have bladder problems, have been retested and all comes back ok.  Went to a urologist who said that with having the infection for so long untreated (5 weeks) it could take 4 - 6 weeks to get better.  It has been 8 weeks, and things are definitely better but not 100 %. How long could this take.  It feels that it is SLOWLY on the mend, but is discouraging to still feel some of the symptoms.  NO more burning or itching, but urethra still feels "tender" and I get spasms once in awhile.  What should I expect????
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

I would make sure that sensitivities were performed on the urine culture to make sure that the bacteria is sensitive to the antibiotics you were taking.  If you are continuing to have symptoms, then repeat cultures should be performed.  

I would also be tested for STDs such as gonorrhea and chlamydia.  

If you are a male, then tests for prostatitis should be performed, including a prostatic massage or transrectal ultrasound.

Another test to consider would be a cystoscopy to make sure that urethral strictures or polyps are not causing your discomfort.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0